Tooru Kokonoe is the male protagonist of the Absolute Duo series. After a horrific incident in his past, he decided to enroll in Kouryou Academy to get stronger, and to understand his Irregular Blaze. His Duo partner is Jullie Sigtuna.
Tooru, as said by girls, is quite a handsome young man and well built. He also is said to be a bit taller than the average teen male. He has shortish brown hair and brown-golden eyes. He is usually seen wearing his school uniform, which consists of a white dress shirt with a blue tie, black jacket and a pair of blue pants. When he is in the dorms with Julie he wears a white shirt and a pair of shorts, occasionally he tends to wear a green and white hoodie and jogging pants. Like every Blaze user, Tooru has the Astar mark located on his chest.
Tooru is known to be a kind guy. Although he is a little dense, he is strong-minded and has a friendly personality, which results in girls getting attracted to him. He would always pep up his friends and protect them, whenever they are sad, and because of this, he has a quite care-free personality and can often accept other's faults without much trouble.
So far in the series, his favorite food is meat and he can tolerate any type of vegetables, Because of the lack of variety in his meals, Tachibana and Hotaka give him a plate of vegetables everyday. On the island, he eats all meat he can before Tachibana notices.
What is known of Tooru's background is limited. But it is known that when he was a little boy, his little sister and all the kids at the dojo were killed by an unknown boy. Due to this incident, Tooru enrolled to Kouryou Academy to get stronger. Tooru still consistently gets flashbacks and nightmares from the incident, and it further inspires him to become stronger, because the boy told him that his sister died because he was "too weak".
- Tooru's Blaze manifests into a shield. He is said to always protect other people with his power and he himself admits this. It also seems to be impossible to break, very much akin to his will, or it is much harder to break than most Blaze due to its nature.
Aegis Desire Edit
- After Tooru reached Level IV. He gained the ability to manifest Aegis Desire, a blue energy barrier capable of shielding himself and allies at a large radius. He can create a barrier up to three layers though it depletes his mental strength quicker.
Martial Arts Edit
- Tooru was raised in a dojo, with that he not only got the ideal to respect and help comrades, but strong offensive attacks and defense. He is very agile and can defeat most of his enemies with his skills. He is shown to be very skilled in his punches and kicks, especially since he has no formal weapon.
- Ever since Tooru received his ≪Astar≫ mark , he has strengthened a powerful punch attack which Tooru learned from his days at the dojo. When Tooru and Julie were talking about his "special attack" Julie decided to dub it "Mjolnir", after the destructive hammer wielded by the Norse god Thor. Mjolnir focuses a large amount of energy and force, allowing it to extend about a foot past where the punch was thrown. Tooru has also been shown using Mjonir's force to shatter floors and demolish entire buildings. However, using Mjolnir comes with a price. Tooru has stated in the beginning of the series that he cannot use Mjolnir more than twice a day, and that most women who are not well built cannot use this move, because the toll on the user's body due to the force applied is too strong. Tooru can however use Mjolnir more and more as the series progresses, as he gets stronger. Mjolnir is also the same move that Julie wanted to learn from Tooru, but was told that her body would not be able to withstand using it.
- It is a new move Tooru made from the experience he gained, during the final battle he had with Lilith. It was similar to a flicker jabs in boxing and the fist prepared at a low angle thrust straight at the opponent in an instant. Taking "Mjolnir", the move of releasing all the charged power in one punch as the base, He arranged it to a move stressed in rapid fire. Since the motion was close to none while the power was reduced, it looks as if he was performing quick shots. Julie named it Hrungnir named after a jötunn(frost giant) in Norse mythology, who was slain by the god Thor with his hammer Mjölnir.
- In Japanese, 'Tooru' is pronounced in almost the same way as 'Thor', the Norse God of thunder.
- He rejected Lilith's offer to be her duo twice.
- He has an irregular Blaze.